Friday, April 11

Thing Six Online Image Generators

I had quite a bit of fun with these sites. You could really spice up a few areas of life without having to spend much money. I haven't gotten around to advertising the library at all, but this would be a great way to do it. I made jersies for each of my students and emailed them to them. They were impressed, and should be more interested in what's coming next. They have been struggling with a writing assignment concerning blogs, RSS feed, Flickr, and the top 10 mashups. "What practical applications can you see for each of these in the future, or are they just games that will amuse for a bit and disappear?" I haven't looked at their answers yet, but felt it'd be a reminder for them to think out-of-the-box. I think some of these items would be wonderful teaching tools! Overall, I keep seeing how, not only are we creating more solutions to "How to save money?" with things like creating our own greeting cards, but also the amount of storage we need on our computers. I don't need to save my pictures, I can have Flickr keep them for me. I don't need to have an encyclopedia installed, or a legal program... I can get a feed, host, join, or visit a blog, or search independently on Net. I wonder what the next generation will be like, tho. Will they not hang onto memories as much because they not only see our family pictures, but everyone else's? What are the downsides of trusting more and more of our lives to the virtual world? I am looking forward to what you have next up your sleeve, and amazed how much I have learned about without being more than a fourth through!!

No comments: